The Swedish Mission Hospital at Thirupattur was started in 1909 by Dr.F.Kugelberg, a Swedish Eye Doctor. The land was gifted by the Raja of Sivagangai. It was patronized by Raja Sir Annamalai chettiar and also other wealthy families from the chettiar community. A host of Swedish doctors dedicated their service to the upliftment of this once backward area. The campus was gradually handed over to the Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church (TELC) and run by Indian doctors after Independence. The campus houses a nursing college and a blind school aswell. But due to shortage of doctors and financial constraints, this once reputed institution has been closed down.
In 2008, then Union Home Minister of India Shri. P. Chidambaram patronised to give life to this glorious hospital, roped in Vidiocon Industries to support the revival through their Corporate Social Responsibility. The hospital was renovated with keeping the oldest historical structures intact and was made open to public on 8th February 2014.